Thursday, February 14, 2008

BREAKING NEWS: Get the Goods

Holy crap! I actually got to stroke a Nikon D3 DSLR last night. Canonians don't get your panties in a bunch. I am still a die-hard Canon fan....but I have to say, that Nikon D3 was fracking amazing, and I can't wait to see what Canon's response will be.

Glenn Asakawa, a wonderful Denver Post photographer, colleague and mentor, is leaving the paper and heading back to his alma mater (The University of Colorado at Boulder) to serve as a University Communications photographer. His loss, both personally and professionally, hit me in the chest, so I had to say my farewells at his going-away party last night. Some of the other photogs were using a Nikon D3 to memorialize the event. The Denver Post photography staff uses Nikons exclusively, which used to be a long point of contention years ago with photographers who felt that Canon was producing a better product. Photog Posties don't feel so bad now since Nikon has stepped up to the plate with some of their own equally great (or dare I say it, better) equipment. So a photog was trying to convince me about why I should switch to Nikons.

The Nikon D3's size alone was impressive and admirable. The 12.1 megapixels won't be ignored either (although I really don't need that much). But what got me was that out-of-this-world 6400 ISO with an additional two stop boost over that topping an amazing 25600 ISO! The lounge was very dark and intimate -- which is great for patrons and terrible for photographers. But that D3 full frame sensor and incredible ISO lit up that lounge as if the photog was shooting in daylight! So many of my shooting situations have been in low-light. I could have truly benefitted from the D3's speed and ultra light sensitivity.

It was enough to make me doubt for a few seconds all the money I've invested in my Canon Rebel XTi and the numerous pieces of high quality glass that cost even more than the camera. But I won't be swayed to Nikon -- yet.

Canon....you betta bring it! And soon.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.