Monday, June 30, 2008

Instructors Tip: Wear Your Photo Eyes


Enjoy this week's "Instuctor's Tip" by award winning nature photographer Russ Burden Burden:

"When I first got bit by the photography bug, its juices took over and
I was hooked for life. Although it was a long time from the day I
took my very first picture until the time I purchased an SLR, I was
always aware of the power of the bite. As I got more and more into
the art, I began to view the world as if I had a camera fixed to my
eye. I would use telephoto eyes to pick out small slices of the
landscape. I would use my wide angle eyes to incorporate entire
skylines and envision what they would look like as a print. Whether
I’m sitting in my kitchen or leading a photo tour to a gorgeous
location in our country, my awareness of light, composition, and
color is heightened thanks to photography. So where am I going with
all of this?

The lesson to be learned is as you walk around with your camera,
don’t allow yourself to get tunnel vision. In other words, open your
eyes to any and all subjects you encounter as you head to your target
to photograph. Case in point is demonstrated in the accompanying
shot made while leading a tour to WA. The focal point for the morning
on which it was created was Rialto Beach’s sea stacks. As we
approached them, I viewed every step I took with my photo eyes wide
open. In what could have easily been stepped on, when my eyes met the
new growth of the tiny fern emerging from the black beach stones -
CARPE DIEM! I seized the opportunity, we all made the close up, and
still got to photograph the sea stacks."

- Russ

The photo(s) in this post were taken by Russ Burden. To learn more about how Russ captured this image, join him on one of his photo tours. Visit Russ Burden Photography to get more information.

To take a class with Russ or a fellow Digital Photo Academy instructor in your area, check out the Digital Photo Academy. I took Russ' intermediate and advanced courses last year, and he continues to be a strong source of knowledge and encouragement as I progress in my photography.

Don't forget to check Take Great Pictures for Russ' most recent tips. On the home page, click on the "Photo Tips And Techniques" button in the left hand column. Additionally, check out his "Digital Tip of the Month" found by clicking on the Digital Photography button.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.