Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Get the Goods: Finally taking a Lightroom class!

On Saturday, I will finally be taking a Lightroom class with Illuminate Photography Workshops. Thank you Efrain! I know, I know. I can hear many of my photog buddies saying "It's about damn time!" Lightroom 101: Introduction is running from 10 am to 5 pm. I really love the intensive and quick hit one day formats, and I've heard great things about instructor Peter Bryson.

I guess I never saw a need for Lightroom before since I really did feel like I was barely scratching the surface with what can be achieved in Photoshop. Maybe, I've been resistant to learning Lightroom because it took me so long to become comfortable with Photoshop. I can remember that fear I felt when I opened the program for the first time years ago. I just KNEW I would NEVER be able to learn this huge program. But as with anything, step by step, class by class and tip by tip, I've gotten a strong handle on Photoshop. Post processing photos is now one of favorite parts of the capture system since I shoot almost exclusively in RAW. I'm a self-proclaimed "Actions Junkie." And it seems like everyday, I learn a new PS technique that I can't wait to make a permanent part of my workflow. Learning Photoshop has been a huge achievement for me, especially now when I hear people say they like editing I've done to a photo.



But I think it's time for me to move on now, gain some new skills and stop being resistant to change. With all of the cool presets available for Lightroom users and the increased speed everyone tells me they have with Lightroom, I'm sure I will be able to find the best way to make it gel with my own workflow process. Plus, this will be the first class I've taken in a while in a formal setting that wasn't a webinar. I'm looking forward to interacting with the instructor and other students. A lot of my buddies have said they could teach me how to use this program in a snap, but over the years, I've discovered that I really do learn well initially in a classroom setting and then get backup support and tips from friends later.

Here's what I will be learning:
Learn the basics of managing your image library and making your photos look their best in Lightroom.

Overview of The Lightroom Interface
Inside the Lightroom Catalog
Importing and Exporting
Metadata Essentials
Develop Module Basics
Visualizing the Complete Workflow
Presentation Options in Lightroom



After taking ALR 101 a student will be able to import, sort, name and retrieve files using keywords and metadata. In addition, the student will learn how to use the Develop module that allows total manipulation of an image, all in a non-destructive manner. The student will have a firm knowledge of the Histogram and Curves, and how one would use those tools.


Next, I will be signing up for an indepth Lightroom 2 workshop where I will be learning how to locally adjust areas within the image, making it less likely that one would need to use Adobe Photoshop. I have a hard time believing that, but I'm glad the instructor will be emphasizing how to seamlessly move from one program to the other and back again. Plus, we get to learn how to present images, and create web-ready galleries.

If you need to brush up on your Lightroom skills and live in the Denver Metro Area, consider taking a Lightroom course with Illuminate Workshops.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.