Friday, May 14, 2010

On Assignment: Working with a Denver Post Photographer and Photo Stylist

I'm thrilled to be going on assignment this morning with Denver Post photographer Cyrus McCrimmon! He will be shooting a model at REI today for a fitness article I'm writing for the newspaper on plus size activewear clothing.

For the past month or so I've been sampling new extended sizes from 14W and up in technical performance clothing from various retailers including REI, Athleta and BornFit. As a size 16-18, I as well as other larger athletes, have a harder time finding activewear that conforms to our curves and provides the same features as other smaller size performance wear like sweat wicking, breathable mesh panels, or anti-chafing. I can't wait to have the article run on May 24 because it includes a list of places where curvy women can shop to find workout clothing that suits their frame and dresses them appropriately for activities like hiking, biking, yoga and pilates, running, and competitive volleyball (my personal athletic addiction!) Take a look at the Lolly 38 "Taffy" line, one of the lines I will be featuring in my article:







My editor has supported and encouraged my involvement in just about every aspect of this article, including choosing a plus size model with an athletic build and look to wear the clothing in a shoot. I'm pretty excited to be working with a photo stylist for the first time. I've been blessed to work with several outstanding makeup artists such as Jett Middleton, on numerous shoots, including last Friday's sunset shoot. It will add dimension to my own growth as a professional photographer to see a talented photo stylist at work. A photo stylist plans a shoot, setting up schedules and contacting suppliers to lend us their garments, shoes and accessories for the shoot. I have three outfits that I want the model to wear: one for biking, hiking and yoga. The stylist and I discussed a location that would allow us to shoot all three scenarios in a seemingly realistic environment and settled on the REI building in downtown Denver. I will be meeting her at 9:30 this morning so she can look over the clothing and make sure the accessories she has will work.

I can't miss out on an opportunity either to watch a master photographer at work. Cyrus is one of the best photogs at the Denver Post and it's an honor to be working with him. And of course I'm going to be bringing my camera and shooting a bit too!

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.