Monday, January 4, 2010

Instructor's Tip: The Shape of Things to Come

Photo by Russ Burden

I hope you enjoy this week's "Instructor's Tip" by one of my favorite instructors, award winning nature photographer Russ Burden. To learn more about how Russ captured the above image, join him on one of his photo tours. Visit Russ Burden Photography to get more information.

Personal Message from Russ:
I can’t believe another year has passed and it’s time to start a new round of Tips for 2010. I hope you have learned a lot from all the ones you’ve received so far and that they motivate you to get out and take some pics. Please help spread the word about my tours so I’ll be able to continue sending The Tip Of The Week year after year. Referrals are always appreciated. I’ve re-designated 2010 to be The Year of the Photo Tour. I’d love to have you join me so I can share with you first hand all the tips I’ve sent out over the last five years - that’s a lot of tips! Seeing the tips put into effect is a great way to learn more about our wonderful art.

The Shape of Things to Come
Shapes are the building blocks of all structures. From repetitive hexagons woven into beehives to the support systems of skyscrapers, they’re found everywhere. Made of lines, patterns and repeated forms, designs of intertwined networks await the discerning photographer to extract and isolate. Lens choice, light, color, contrast and shooting angle all contribute to the success of capturing images with shapes.

Shape plays a dominate role in identifying objects in everyday life. The silhouette of a dormant tree in winter or the outline of an airborne flock of geese at sunset need no explanation as to what they are. Their forms are familiar, yet often deemed mundane. As a photograph, they’re often overlooked. By learning how to integrate shape, form, texture, lines and patterns into an image, a whole new world of photography can unfold.

Take a class with Russ or a fellow Digital Photo Academy instructor in your area, check out the Digital Photo Academy. I took Russ' intermediate and advanced courses last year, and he continues to be a strong source of knowledge and encouragement as I progress in my photography.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.