Friday, February 15, 2008

BREAKING NEWS: Get the Goods

YESSSSS! My new MacBook Pro laptop just showed up at my office this morning! That was really fast, and I can't wait to open it and start to play. I knew I needed a laptop during my last photography gig for the National Brotherhood of Skiers. The group's PR rep needed one image ASAP to post on a national wire, but all of my pictures from the event had been shot in RAW and needed to be edited!




Luckily the videographer had his MacBook with him during the gig, and I was able to make some quick edits in Photoshop Elements that pleased my client. I was able to show my client pictures I had taken so far. She picked her favorite, which turned out to be the image above, and I did some PS magic in a few minutes. She was able to make her deadline to the national wire, and we all know a happy client is a better paying one. I never want to be in a situation like that again, so now I have the ability to take my business mobile, editing and printing pictures like these when I'm on the road. I'll let you know that my decision to purchase the Mac wasn't taken lightly. Last year I purchased a Dell XPS 710 (they've already come out with a new model, damn them, the XPS720) to get my business started since my old Gateway was ancient at more than 10 years of age. Nearly everyone I spoke with (including random interviews held with customers I bombarded at a local Starbucks) said Mac was the way to go -- namely because of its easy of use especially with complicated programs like Photoshop CS3 and no virus attacks. I'll let you know what I think after I pull it out of the box.

4 comments:

Tarheel Rambler said...

If your primary reason for choosing a Mac was ease of use for Photoshop CS3, you may be disappointed. It works pretty much the same on a Mac as it does a PC. :0) However you may have something with the virus attacks.

PictureYourWorld said...

Thanks for responding Lee. Great avatar BTW. Everyone told me that they didn't have any problems with CS3 crashing on them like they did when trying to run the software on their PC. I had to reload CS3 on my Dell at least twice already. It kept freezing up, so I hope that I won't have those issues on the new Mac!

Tarheel Rambler said...

I've heard about the crashing problem, but luckily, I haven't experienced it. I run CS3 on a Toshiba running Vista. I hold my breath constantly because of all the issues with Vista, but didn't have a lot of choice if I wanted this laptop at the price I got it.

Thanks for the compliment on the Avatar. It is from a series of photographs I took of an old farmhouse here in North Carolina. If you're interested, I have more of my photography on my blog, Tarheel Ramblings.

PictureYourWorld said...

Hey there Lee, thanks for giving me the link to your own blog. It looks great and I appreciate being able to see how another photographer manages his blog. I just took the MacPro out of its box. I realized that I haven't had a laptop since I was in college more than 10 years ago. Dang I feel old! :) But I can't wait to get caught up with the new technology. Thank you also for your tips and suggestions at the DPS forum! Happy shooting!

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.