Tuesday, February 19, 2008

In My Library




A fabulous photography coffee table book landed on my desk last week, (thank you, to whomever left it for me!) and I haven't been able to put it down since. "America at Home: A Close-up Look at How We Live," (Against All Odds Productions, $40) is an amazing feat of photojournalism that captures the images of the collective dream we all share: the longing for a place called home.

Authors Rick Smolan and Jennifer Erwitt are the creative minds behind some of the industry's most provocative photography books, including "The Day in the Life" series and AMERICA 24/7. Their newest work tries to define what "home" means to Americans featured in more than 250 photos. From an 84-square-foot cottage on wheels to a crowded Harlem street in the Puerto Rican part of town, each peak inside these residents' lives showcase the rituals, social interactions and treasured moments of our most sacred space.

I enjoyed the colorful examples of pictures that tell stories viewers can relate to. The shot of the church service in New Orleans reminds me of my childhood when I struggled to stay awake during long sermons. Bermese mountain dog puppies nibling on their owners toes brings a smile to my face because my dogs love to do the same thing. The photos are filled with life and emotion, and it's the type of photography I strive for everyday. A cool interactive feature allows readers to personalize their copy of the book by transforming a favorite digital image into a glossy book cover at My America At Home.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.