Thursday, February 21, 2008

Get the Goods: New Lighting Gear



Some long awaited lighting equipment finally arrived this week and will be a big boon for my business, allowing me to capture more images like the one I took above of model AngelucaK. I took that photo during a Colorado Strobist meet-up earlier this month. I had to borrow other members' equipment, but the experience got me instantly hooked to strobes. Now I have my own! My new Alien Bees strobe kit and my Westcott Spiderlite TD5 continuous light source will give me more portability and make it easier for me to overcome the challenges that shooting outside a studio can pose. These new set-ups along with the Wescott constant light deluxe kit I bought last year and two new PocketWizards to trigger everything will give me plenty of options to illuminate any situation!

Sooner or later, every photographer has to leave the controlled setting of their own studio and head out into the unknown world that is "shooting on location." Being able to manipulate both natural and artificial lighting wherever an assignment takes you is crucial to making a living with a camera.

Buying kits are the most cost effective way to build a studio set because they usually include everything you need in one box. Both the Alien Bees and Westcott kits I purchased include two lights, softboxes, sturdy light stands and a carry case. Check out the March issue of "Popular Photography" for reviews of off-camera lighting systems. On Saturday I will be taking a "Crash Flash" course to learn some new off-camera lighting techniques. I'll share them with you next week.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.