Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Get Connected: POTW - Graffiti




Whenever time permits, I stay connected with photography enthusiasts I've met online by participating in weekly or monthly competitions. Most of these contests are designed to keep photogs shooting regularly by requiring all submissions be shot during a specified week. I'm not sure the friendly competitions would be as beneficial if they allowed us to pull previously taken photographs from our portfolios that just happen to fit that week's theme. I always keep a camera with me, in my case a compact Canon G9 when the XTi stays home, so I can be ready for a shot that matches a chosen theme.

The picture above is my entry for the Colorado 4X4 Shutterbug forum "POTW" (Photo of the Week). The topic was GRAFFITI, and submissions had to be turned in no later than 8 p.m. tonight. I think shooting graffiti is a double-edged sword because there is so much of it that it can be hard to find a different way of photographing it. When I spotted these guys while driving into work this week, I immediately pulled over and asked for their permission to snap their picture. I think the human element adds depth to the assignment, while placing them off-center adds an extra compositional element and draws the viewer's eyes across the frame.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.