Wednesday, January 28, 2009

In My Library: Magazine subscription in a digital format



Yesterday, I received my first issue of Photoshop User in a digital subscription format. It was very cool to be able to "flip" through the pages of the magazine exactly the way it appears in print. Links to specific articles on the contents page make it easy to navigate the issue. And you can even print hard copy pages if you need to keep them for references.



The magazine's "Down and Dirty Tricks" section will no doubt be a goldmine for developing my photoshop skills. This month's issue features creating custom picture frames. Zinio, the service I'm using to upload and store my digital subscrition also allows users to share articles by linking back to the page, including this one called "The Poor Man's HDR."



Right now, I'm going to be receiving both the print and the digital versions, but I think once I get used to this "green-friendly" format, I will likely switch permanently to it. It's interesting to note that the digital one made it much faster than the print one, so if you are pressed on time, this might be a way to get the information quicker. If you are anything like me, you end up reading your magazines and curling up pages and marking up things until they eventually just get worn down overtime. The digital format is a great way to access back issues and replace printed ones. I think I'm going to have fun playing with this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this information. I guess I wasn't aware there was a choice. Guess I will have to revisit the site. I love my magazines, but the pack rat tendency gets too overwhelming and I've cut way back on my subscriptions.

PictureYourWorld said...

No problem Kate. Since I joined NAPP I've discovered all kinds of helpful things on their website. I could wander through it for days and never stop learning it seems. I love my magazines too and I am exactly like you when it comes to hoarding things away. That's probably the main reason why I haven't ended the print subscription yet. I really love getting the print editions delivered in the mail. I guess I'm old school, huh? It's kinda like how I still love to actually read the print newspaper and don't enjoy it as much online.

At least the digital magazine includes everything you would get in the printed version instead of picking and choosing which articles to put online like they do for most newspapers.

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.