Thursday, July 2, 2009

Get the Job Done: First gig as a "second shooter" a success!










Saturday's assignment as a second shooter during a wedding for lead photographer Jim Turley was a lot of fun, and I'm extremely proud of the images I captured. I will be giving Jim a disk with 100 of my best images this morning, several of which I have included in this blog post.



During the shoot, I was responsible for candids and detailed shots, both of which I love shooting. And it was good to let some other photographer take the lead and work with the clients so I could focus all of my efforts on getting great shots. Jim was also helpful in sharing new ways of streamlining my own wedding coverage when I have assistants working for me, including editing all of the images myself (instead of having assistants edit their work separately) for a more consistent look. Jim also requires his clients to pay in advance of their coverage...one portion paid at the booking and the second at least a month before the actual event. I will be adopting those same practices to avoid becoming a debt collector.





I loved shooting for John and Melinda, a mature couple each with two young children from previous marriages. Their laid back attitude without the usual anxiety often associated with wedding days made coverage easy and enjoyable. Their event was nontraditional in that they didn't have bridesmaids or groomsmen, didn't have "the toast" or "the dance," and didn't even cut their cake! But it was filled with love and joy, nonetheless as each parent walked hand in hand down the aisle with their children at their side.



I could definitely appreciate how low key (and quick...maybe less than 10 minutes long!) their actually ceremony was, so they could spend more time celebrating with their family and friends. To that end, it the couple asked that we try to take photos of as many of their guests as possible. So I found a great spot with greenery and a water fountain right in front of the Buell Mansion to shoot guests as they were leaving their cars with the valet. Here's a tip: when photographing guests, just put on a big smile and say "It's for the bride and groom!" and most people instantly relax and are more willing to pose for the happy couple.



2 comments:

Lisa Piellusch said...

Nice job, Sheba. Sounds like it was a great day! :)

PictureYourWorld said...

It was a lot of fun, but tiring of course! I think you know what I mean! ;)

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.