Monday, July 27, 2009

Instructor's Tip: Picture Yourself



I hope you enjoy this week's "Instructor's Tip" by one of my favorite instructors, award winning nature photographer Russ Burden. To learn more about how Russ captured the above image, join him on one of his photo tours. Visit Russ Burden Photography to get more information.


Picture Yourself
Some of us who travel do so for the exclusive reason of trying to sell pictures. Some travel because it’s enjoyable and if a picture is sold, it’s a bonus. Some travel just to gain knowledge and education and have no intention of selling a picture. Regardless of the motives, what often happens to many travelers is they come back with cherished memories and lots of images of the scenery, architecture, people, and culture, but few, if any, shots of themselves. While it’s nice to relive the experiences through photos you’ve taken, it's more special to have a few of yourself to heighten the memory. To accomplish this, I’ve found it’s best to take matters into your own hands by setting up the camera on a tripod and using the self timer so you can get into the shot. The reason I say this stems from experience. I’ll never forget the time my wife, son, and I were skiing in Keystone, Colorado and I asked someone to take a few shots of us. I picked a nice location with a good background and nice lighting thinking I had all bases covered. When I got the pictures back, none of the images had any of our faces and one included only our torsos. Digital shooters can check the composition on the LCD right away to prevent this, but it’s still a good lesson.

Take a class with Russ or a fellow Digital Photo Academy instructor in your area, check out the Digital Photo Academy. I took Russ' intermediate and advanced courses last year, and he continues to be a strong source of knowledge and encouragement as I progress in my photography.

Don't forget to check Take Great Pictures for Russ' most recent tips. On the home page, click on the "Photo Tips And Techniques" button in the left hand column. Additionally, check out his "Digital Tip of the Month" found by clicking on the Digital Photography button.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.