Monday, July 6, 2009

Instructor's Tip: Develop a system of organization

Photo credit: Russ Burden

I hope you enjoy this week's "Instructor's Tip" by one of my favorite instructors, award winning nature photographer Russ Burden. To learn more about how Russ captured the above image, join him on one of his photo tours. Visit Russ Burden Photography to get more information.


Develop a System of Organization
I’ve always been a fairly organized person. This is true partly by necessity as I taught for 27 years and needed to share organizational skills with my students. In that I practice what I preach, my system of organization simply evolved. During the years I taught, I was refining my photographic craft and I wound up having two professions. I’m now down to one as I’m no longer teaching but very thankful I did for it showed me the importance of being an organized photographer. The benefit is as the action starts to happen and I need a specific piece of equipment, I don’t waste time looking for it. It’s been proven to me many times that a difference of only a few seconds may mean not getting the shot. With this in mind, I want time and organization on my side.

Each compartment of my camera bag is reserved for a specific piece of gear that I can grab in a heartbeat should I need it. Having it set up this way allows me quick access leading to fewer missed shots. Organize your pack and memorize the layout. Don’t miss the once in a lifetime shot by a few seconds.

Take a class with Russ or a fellow Digital Photo Academy instructor in your area, check out the Digital Photo Academy. I took Russ' intermediate and advanced courses last year, and he continues to be a strong source of knowledge and encouragement as I progress in my photography.

Don't forget to check Take Great Pictures for Russ' most recent tips. On the home page, click on the "Photo Tips And Techniques" button in the left hand column. Additionally, check out his "Digital Tip of the Month" found by clicking on the Digital Photography button.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.