Sunday, April 13, 2008

Breaking News: Focused on People

FREE TIME ONLY



GETTING PAID



I made a critical decision this morning to specialize my business, focusing on people in my photographs instead of landscapes or wildlife. A friend suggested that a do that a while ago, and I fought the suggestion because some of my favorite shots (and my only contest winners) have not had people in them. However, I think people will ultimately buy an image with other people in it as long as they can relate to either the faces or the activities being presented. Put in another way, people BUY photos of people.

I don't want to give up on landscapes or wildlife though. I will focus on these type of shots in my free time when I'm not trying to please a client, but satisfy my own growth and progress. I have always struggled with this type of photography, and I would like to improve those skills. My boyfriend, on the other hand, is an excellent landscape photograher, but he struggles with people and directing models. Oh well, the grass is always greener I guess.

My colleague Dave Scott warns new photographers not to specialize. I agree with him, and while I will focus primarily on people, I think "picturing people in their world" will leave me open to many different types of photography, including events, sports, portraits and weddings.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.