Monday, September 22, 2008

Breaking News: Flickr Upload Chosen for Possible Inclusion to Schmap Guide

I just got an email a few minutes ago from Flickr that one of my uploaded photos has been short-listed for inclusion in the fifth edition of the Schmap Denver Guide to be published late October 2008.

Schmap Guide is an online interactive experience that includes maps and guide content allowing intuitive, real-time access to reviews and photo slideshows for places of interest.






The image above was chosen out of my Flickr uploads to be submitted into the final selection phase for the edition. It is one of the shots I took while covering Bill Coleman's Giant-sized Puppets participating in the Denver St. Patrick's Day Parade earlier this year. The Guide will send a message to my Flickr account when the guide is released, letting me know whether or not my photo has been included.

While the Guide offers no payment for publication, many photographers willingly submit their photos, as Schmap Guides give their work recognition and wide exposure, and are free of charge to readers. Photos are published at a maximum width of 150 pixels, are clearly attributed, and link to high-resolution originals at Flickr.

I emailed the managing editor and let her know I regularly shoot images in Colorado and might have other photos she would like include in her guide. I included a link to my business website and gave her my cell phone number too. Maybe this could lead to other commissions.

This is definitely an example of how advertisers and companies are gaining access to a talented pool of advid pro and semi-pro photographers who regularly upload their images to the online community. It's the second time someone has come across one of my uploaded images and asked to use it. The first time, a nonprofit pregnancy crisis center found one of my Flickr images that they wanted to use for an ad campaign. When I told them how much the image would cost ($150) they said they didn't have enough funds for the image. Even though I blogged about this incident and decried the Freebie Photo Phenomenon, I have often worried if not giving the center the photo for free was a mistake.

In this instance though, I think possibly allowing Schmap to host one of my images for free online might work in my favor because of the worldwide audience and exposure.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.