Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Get the Goods: Computer Tethered Photo Capture

During my last shooting gig, my friend and colleague Jason Peckovitch mentioned that he wanted to learn how to "tether" his Nikon to his laptop where he uses Lightroom to edit images. I didn't really know what he was talking about, but since that weekend, I've been doing some research to understand how this could benefit my business.

How many times have you been fooled by your camera's LCD screen into thinking an image was sharp only to view it later on your computer's larger monitor and be disappointed because the focus was off? Tethering allows you to view a large histogram, check for sharpness and make small, hidden details more easily visible when the photos are enlarged to 100%. Then the files can be quickly tagged and managed -- a system Jason could have taken advantage of when he shot portraits for attendees of a wedding reception.

On Monday, Jim Talkington of prophotolife.com released one of his popular instructional videos explaining how to shoot tethered to a computer with a DSLR so images go directly to the hard drive for viewing on the monitor. I found it very useful and thought I would repost it here for my readers. It was great to find out that my 5D came with Canon capture software! Plus, Talkington uses a 5D in his video to explain how the process works. Shooters who use Nikon are required to buy software. The video has great information about cables and protecting your equipment that was also extremely useful.


Episode 29, computer tethered photo capture from Jim Talkington on Vimeo.

For photographers who are already using the tethering features, try upping the ante on the process by tethering to Lightroom.



Friend and colleague Chester Bullock posted this link to a great article that ran on pixsylated.com explaining how to do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think when I installed my Canon software I must of somehow missed EOS capture. I know I had this working on one point but couldn't get it working today when I tested it again.

Apples Aperture program has native capture support built in and it works pretty good.

I love using the tethered laptop for some stock work, you can zoom in right away to check details and focus. For people I'm not sure if I like it - I don't want someone rushing to check the laptop screen every few shots.

I did use it for a corporate headshot shoot earlier this year though, and it really helped. We where both able to review the images right away to see if we where capturing the feel he wanted to project with these images, kept what we liked and adjusted and made changes - and then nailed it for the client.

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.