Monday, September 22, 2008

Instructor's Tip: Digital Black and White



REMINDER: No "Instructor's Tip" next week as Russ will be leading his ten day photography tour to the Tetons and Yellowstone. I can't wait until I can save up enough to treat myself to one of Russ's tours. (Russ just wants me to so he can smirk while this admitted night owl is forced to get out of bed at 4:30 in the morning!

Digital Black and White

Black and white photography has a special place in my heart. I’ll never forget shooting my first roll when I took an introductory course to photography in college. I still remember the anxious feeling I had when I had to spool it onto the metal reel as I was the one who was going to develop it. What a thrill it was to make my first contact sheet and realize I did everything right. And then the absolute magic that did occur when I developed my first 8x10. I was hooked for life. But here’s the irony- with the sophisticated digital techniques that have evolved, I haven’t shot a roll of B&W in years. But that’s OK as the magic is still there. It’s just created via a different means.

There are numerous ways to digitally create a B&W image. Most cameras even have a setting that allows this at capture. There are many plug ins and stand alone programs that make the job easy and provide a lot of control to the finished product. Regardless of how you get to the final print, I strongly encourage you to dabble. If you haven’t tried the B&W adjustment layer in Photoshop, stop whatever you’re doing and give it a whirl.

Enjoy this week's "Instructor's Tip" by award winning nature photographer Russ Burden. The photo(s) in this post were taken by Russ Burden. To learn more about how Russ captured this image, join him on one of his photo tours. Visit Russ Burden Photography to get more information.

To take a class with Russ or a fellow Digital Photo Academy instructor in your area, check out the Digital Photo Academy. I took Russ' intermediate and advanced courses last year, and he continues to be a strong source of knowledge and encouragement as I progress in my photography.

Don't forget to check Take Great Pictures for Russ' most recent tips. On the home page, click on the "Photo Tips And Techniques" button in the left hand column. Additionally, check out his "Digital Tip of the Month" found by clicking on the Digital Photography button.

No comments:

Best Posts

Picture Your World Photography is a premiere photographer in the Denver, Colorado Photographer community on MarketingTool.com.